Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA
Rutgers, New Jersey Medical School is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow for Public Health Research Institute (PHRI) in the Laboratory of Dr. Maria Laura Gennaro. Dr. Gennaro’s research summary can be found on the PHRI website (http://www.phri.org/research/res_pigennaro.asp). Dr Gennaro seeks to advance the current TB diagnosis by investigating antigen specific T cell response by RNA flow cytometry. The Postdoctoral Fellow, under the direction of Principal Investigator (PI), will optimize and perform in-vitro assays involving Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells collected from Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB) infected individuals to study the antigen specific T cell response during latent and active TB infection by RNA flow cytometry. Other job duties include record keeping, and writing reports for grant agencies and manuscripts for publication.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Purify and freeze Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells from blood samples of TB infected patients.
- Perform in-vitro experiments to measure antigen specific T cell response in PBMC.
- Develop multicolor RNA flow cytometry panels (>10 colors) to measure cytokine mRNA expression in antigen specific T cell subsets.
- Conjugate oligonucleotide probes with fluorochromes and purify them by HPLC.
- Analyze large flow cytometry datasets with FlowJo and FACSDiva software.
- Organize electronic records, data files and databases related to studies and experiments. Assist in data analysis and presentation of findings at weekly team meetings.
- Participate in the evaluation of existing procedures, suggest revisions where necessary, and propose new procedures where required.
- Demonstrate good team spirit and communication skills.
- Keep informed of latest technology, methods and procedures related to research area.
- Coordinate equipment use and maintenance; archive equipment maintenance records.
- Responsible for submitting purchase recommendations to purchasing department.
- Assist with training lab technicians in laboratory techniques as directed.
- Demonstrate perfect compliance with BSL2 rules and guidelines.
Minimum Education and Experience
- PhD degree in biology, microbiology, or biotechnology.
- In-depth knowledge of immunological (flow cytometry, immunofluorescent staining, intracelluar antibody staining, ELISA and western blot) and molecular biology techniques (PCR, real time PCR, and mRNA purification) is critical.
- Hands-on experience with PBMC purification and freezing is required
- Experience on working in a BSL2 environment is an asset.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in RNA flow cytometry is a plus.