Senior Scientist/FACS Core Manager, Discovery Team
GammaDelta Therapeutics, London
GammaDelta Therapeutics is a UK-based immunotherapy biotech company focused on exploiting the unique properties of γδ T cells for the treatment of cancer. This new role within our Discovery Team will be responsible for expanding and further developing the Flow Cytometry Core Facility at GammaDelta Therapeutics with the purpose to provide state of the art Flow Cytometry equipment, training, and technical expertise.
The facility provides sorting, analysis, and maintenance services to all departments of GammaDelta Therapeutics. The primary responsibilities will include the setup and maintenance of analytical instruments and cell sorters as well as an active role facilitating R&D activities through leading and advising on panel design, experimental set up and analytical development. The senior scientist/FACS Core Manager will also be responsible for enabling standardised data analysis using various flow cytometric software and the setup of databases to maintain high standards of data analysis across all R & D activities.
The role will additionally support daily R&D activities enabling biology and process discovery for the generation of novel intellectual property.
Organise and maintain the daily operation within GammaDelta Therapeutic’s 4 machine FACS facility including:
- Organise and execute FACS quality control (QC) to characterize, track, and report performance measurements
- Organise machine maintenance and establish good relationships with suppliers end engineers
- Organise regular compensation set up and reference settings updates
- Design and organise regular FACS training courses, booking system, user management and multiuser lab rules
- Help and assist with optimal multi colour panel design and assay implementation
- Assist in generating analysis templates for regular day to day FACS assays
- Organise training session for flow cytometry software
- Organise and maintain raw material and reagents supply
- Work collaboratively with Discovery colleagues to enable the generation of novel γδ T cell-based processes, data and intellectual property
- Work collaboratively with all R&D colleagues to further progress the Company’s portfolio
- Generate rigorous scientific documentation including ELNs, reports and concise visual and oral presentations to communicate in cross-functional teams to peers, senior management and other key stakeholders
- Function with a high degree of autonomy in the design and implementation of studies to address a specific technical or scientific question/challenge that aligns with project objectives and deliverables
- Contribute creatively beyond own functional group, promoting the use of novel approaches to problem solving and/or project progression.
- Lead projects of significant scientific or technical complexity from conception to completion, ensuring work is completed and reported to a high standard.
- PhD in a life science or equivalent discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Extensive practical expertise in multiparameter flow cytometry and sorting.
- Basic practical expertise on techniques such as primary T cell culture, cell-based functional assays and immune assays.
- Proven Experience working in a pharmaceutical/biotech or at an academic FACS core facility.
- Experience in the application and maintenance of flow cytometry devices using 3 to 4 laser setups supporting up to 14 colour panels.
- Experience in the application and maintenance of cell sorters, using the MACS Quant column enrichment and classic fluorescent associated sorting using BD cell sorters.
- Experience with multiple machine types from different companies including Miltenyi MACS Quant, BD Lyric and Melody cytometers and sorters.
- Experienced in the use of FlowJo and Flowlogic, including automated analysis and template design.
- Flexible, pragmatic and practical, highly motivated to ensure that studies meet challenging timelines and able to propose practical, compromise solutions to problems.
- Ability to work independently, take the initiative, planning and managing multiple and varied tasks and prioritize workload.
- Commitment to high-quality research standards, with attention to detail and rigorous record keeping and data integrity.
- Ability to work co-operatively with others, as part of a team, engaging constructively with colleagues at all levels to deliver objectives, using effective scientific communication skills.
- Enjoys working in a structured environment and is willing to comply with GDT Standard Operating Procedures and Policies.
- Good IT skills including confidence with use of scientific software.
- Willing and able to work flexible hours to fit with tissue/cell availability
Please include a CV and covering letter in support of your application.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.