Senior Medical Technologist
University of Miami, Miami, USA
- Follows all safety precautions and regulatory rules to safeguard patient confidentiality
- Verifies identification of specimen with physicians’ orders, prepares specimens for testing, and handles all specimens in a safe and careful manner
- Performs instrument maintenance, calibration and verification; as applicable
- Performs and verifies quality-control testing, according to procedure, and maintains appropriate data recording
Perform High Complexity Tests adhering to approved Standard Operating Procedures as follows:
- Infectious Disease Testing by PCR using Ingenious / Elitech, Roche / Cobas Ampliprep and Real Time PCR instruments (7500)
- HLA typing by Sequence Specific Primer Technique (QuantStudio) and Sequence Specific OligoProbe (Luminex)
- High Resolution HLA Typing, APOL1 and Gene Rearrangement Assays by Next Generation Sequencing.
- Red Blood Cell Typing
- Flow Cytometry Technique for Immunophenotyping and Cell Activation Panels.
- Lymphocyte Crossmatch & Endothelial Crossmatch by Flow Cytometry and Complement Dependent Cytotoxicity Assay
- Solid Phase platform for HLA Antibody Detection and Identification (Luminex)
- Luminex Panel for Human Cytokine Level Quantification
Core & Serology Area:
- Mass Spectrophotometry for quantification of Immunosuppressant Drug Levels in blood
- Manual & Automated ELISA based assays for Infectious Disease Antibody & Antigen detection and / or quantification
- Other Hematology & Microbiology Procedures
Uses Specific Test
- Analysis Software for raw data analysis and assign the results accordingly
- Analyzes results of testing and interprets results
- Uses professional judgement to accept, repeat the procedure, perform reflex test(s), or reject unacceptable results
- When results are not within laboratory’s acceptable criteria; identify problem(s) that might adversely affect test performance and determine cause of errors
- Researches and prepares all pertinent patient data and refers all data and testing results to pathologists for evaluation and sign-out
- Reports all results in the current Laboratory System and in UNET, if applicable
- Place orders and maintains inventory of disposable supplies and reagents, as applicable.
- Meets Turn Around Time (TAT) for all tests assigned
- Reports Critical Value to the requestor following current IHL Policy, if applicable Performs OnCall Duties in the assigned area / rotation, responding promptly to any Call-Back situation
- Participates in Proficiency Testing, Instrument Correlation, Method Comparison, and / or Validation Studies, as assigned
- Meets deadline for these other projects / assignments
- Assumes lead duties and acts as a resource to staff. Orients and trains employees on laboratory techniques and operations, as assigned
- Obtain 12 Continuing Education Credits in the Histocompatibility Area per year, in addition to those credits required by the State of Florida
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
- Bachelor’s / Associate’s Degree in relevant field.
Certification and Licensing:
- Florida Medical Technologist License is required.
- Certified Histocompatibility Technologist / Specialist desired
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Eager to study and learn about Histocompatibility Field.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately, follow instructions and attention to details.
- Ability organize and prioritize work assignments under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to work flexible and changing hours during On-Call period and with short notice (notification of work is received one hour in advance)
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.