Research Associate 2
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami, Miami, USA
The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is seeking a Research Associate 2, SOM who will
- assist the experienced staff with operation and maintenance of the busy central flow cytometry facility
- Help with the provision of sophisticated flow cytometric analysis and fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), as well as mass cytometry (CyTOF) and associated imaging services, to a wide range of cancer centre researchers
- Assist with co-ordinating the correct and safe use of laboratory instruments, computer work-stations, training and application of computer software
- Learn to interpret the spectral properties of many fluorescent reagents used in experiments, with appropriate instrument laser and fluorescence detector choices; spectral overlap compensation and pulse-processing for data acquisition, plus bulk and culture plate cell deposition options for cell sorting, as well as mass cytometry
- Assist with instrument trouble-shooting and resolution of problems, both technical and operational
- Assist with administrative duties, including tracking instrument reservations and use, subsequent invoicing of monthly fees for services
- Help with tracking and ordering supplies
- Assist with the teaching of training classes and the appropriate operation of laboratory instruments
- Help with the writing of operation manuals for the flow cytometry facility
Appropriate training will be provided, where necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, or other related fields
- Three years of experience in practical laboratory work, preferably including the operation and maintenance of flow cytometers, ideally using BD. instruments
- Experience in the use of computer systems and software, as they apply to scientific research
- Some teaching experience and the ability to work with a flexible schedule would be preferable
- Ability to interpret and communicate results from scientific experiments
- Ideal extra skills would include scientific applications support and/or field service experience, instrument and computer trouble-shooting, etc.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills in English (verbal and written) required
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certification will be considered.