Investigator, Immunophenotyping Flow Cytometrist
GSK, Pennsylvania - Upper Providence, USA
We are looking for a highly motivated, flexible and experienced Immunophenotyping Flow Cytometrist to join a newly created Cellular Biomarkers team within the Bioanalysis, Immunogenicity and Biomarkers (BIB) department based in Collegeville, PA. This group is responsible for developing and validating multi-parametric biomarker assays for use in pre-clinical PK/PD modelling studies and translating these into the clinic in alignment with Research Unit partners. Data from this group is a key component in understanding molecules in the GSK pipeline by providing critical measurements of both target engagement and pharmacodynamic endpoints. Another important deliverable from this group is providing complex deep immunophenotyping data, enabling investigation into disease signatures and to develop understanding of treatment responses for individual patients.
The successful individual will act as a technical expert in flow cytometry, supporting both high parameter deep immunophenotyping of immune cell subsets and receptor occupancy endpoints. This role will include all aspects of method development, trouble-shooting, validation and sample analysis for various preclinical and clinical studies requiring flow cytometry endpoints. You will be responsible for completion of all aspects of assay workflow including reagent selection/optimization, sample preparation, sample acquisition, data analysis & interpretation, and presentation. In addition, you will ensure all work is conducted in compliance with GLP/GCP regulations (when necessary) and follow the appropriate SOPs.
- Be responsible for developing bespoke flow cytometry assays, to support pre-clinical and clinical studies; delivery of robust, high quality data packages and will demonstrate the ability to critique work to enable lead modalities to be smoothly progressed into clinical development
- Contribute to biomarker strategy and capital equipment discussions
- Deliver, interpret and communicate complex scientific data to project/program teams in a timely manner by performing data analysis, record keeping and reporting of results to agreed timelines
- Help lead efforts to investigate novel cytometry platforms and emend within the organization
- Track record of handling multiple projects concurrently
- Willingness to develop and train others as required
- Able to function well in a team and possess a good balance of creative and analytical skills
- Handling of human biological samples and performing experimental work in accordance with HBSM, safety and data integrity guidelines.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in immunology, cell biology, biomedical science or related discipline
- Strong theoretical and practical understanding of flow cytometry (minimum 2 years post-PhD experience). Ability to design and execute bespoke 12+ color panels.
- Strong immunological knowledge enabling immunophenotyping of multiple subpopulations of immune cells
- Considerable experience in the use of Cytobank and/or other ‘R’ packages for high-dimensional data analysis (e.g. tSNE, SPADE, CITRUS, FLOWSom)
- A good understanding of the drug development process.
- Strong laboratory hands-on experience and theoretical understanding of non-clinical and clinical flow cytometry biomarker assay development, validation and implementation.
- Proven cell biology expertise working with a variety of sample types including whole blood, PBMC, cell lines and single-cell suspension from tissue samples
- Attention to detail and good communication and documentation skills will be expected.
- Highly motivated team player with a proactive attitude, excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to interact effectively within a multi-disciplinary team are essential
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Proactively demonstrate the ability to work to tight deadlines, both independently and in a team.
- Experience working with CROs to complete flow cytometry assay transfers
- Demonstrated judgment and decision making, especially for prioritizing multiple requests
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot
- Experience with the BD Symphony flow cytometer (or similar high-spec system) would be an advantage, knowledge of analysis packages such as FlowJo or similar. Good understanding of new cytometers/software on the market.
- Ability to maintain a disciplined approach, ensuring a relentless focus on quality, compliance, scientific rigor and operational excellence