KU Leuven, Belgium
This state-of-the-art BSL2 facility is equipped with a BD Influx, Helios CyTOF, BD Symphony A3 and Sony ID7000 spectral analyzer and therefore requires specialized knowledge of a number of cytometric applications such as high-parameter immunophenotyping and sc-OMICS pipelines. Further equipment includes lower-parameter analysis instruments, SONY MA900 cell sorters, a BDFACS AriaIII cell sorter, an Amnis ImageStream MKII, an F.sight and a BD Rhapsody. Website unit
In the role of executive manager, you will optimize & develop scientific applications associated with flow and mass cytometric techniques and will work collaboratively with principal investigators, research staff and managers of other core facilities in supporting an array of diverse research projects in areas including but not limited to; immune-oncology, neuro-immunology, stem cell biology, neurobiology, cardiovascular sciences and cancer biology.
- Designing and developing specialized techniques in order to provide new methodologies in cytometric procedures and assays
- Operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of cytometry and cell sorting equipment, computer systems and ancillary equipment
- Investigating and remaining abreast of new equipment and technologies in guiding the selection of new facility equipment and software in order to maintain the cutting edge status of the facility
- Provide specialized advice to principal investigators in flow cytometric technical development of research proposals
- Provide in-depth knowledge of standard operating procedures and protocols appropriate to a large, fast-paced multi-user environment
- Train new users and develop training materials and user manuals
- Conduct workshops and seminars and liaise closely with vendors in communicating the latest available techniques and applications
- Supervise, train and provide cross-training activities with staff to act as a mentor to future cytometrists and to ensure the smooth daily operation of the facility
- Manage data storage and backup and liaise closely with ICT in maintaining network architecture and connections to facilitate data transfer
- Train users in application software and assist them in interpreting and evaluating the quality of raw data
- Provide expert advice on the design, execution and troubleshooting of high parameter immunophenotyping panels on the BD Symphony, Sony ID7000 and Helios CyTOF
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Director and steering committee in developing both short and long term strategic plans
- Perform various administrative duties such as billing, monitoring budgets, quarterly reviews, annual reports, and maintaining the facility website and online booking system
- Assisting the Director in grant writing to acquire new equipment
- Maintain a BSL2 facility and provide a safe working environment with extensive knowledge of biosafety protocols and laser hazards as per university HSE guidelines
- Additional duties as assigned
- MSc or PhD in a relevant biomedical field (immunology, biology, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology or biochemistry) that includes at least 3 years of direct flow cytometry experience
- BSc with 5-10 years of direct flow cytometry experience will be considered
- At least 1-2 years supervisory experience required
- Strong technical background across an array of complex flow cytometric equipment and assays highly preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong didactic skills
- Proven leadership skills based on previous roles and/or supervisory experience
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team and willingness to collaborate in the planning of research projects
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Sound independent judgement and decision-making skills
- Attention to detail, adaptability and self-motivated
- Impeccable standards of research conduct and integrity
- Demonstrated experience applying flow cytometry/cell sorting techniques across a wide array of instruments from different manufacturers
- Excellent English proficiency is a prerequisite
We offer a full-time position with long-term perspective in a vibrant academic environment with strong support from the facility director and the steering committee.
The salary will be determined based on qualifications and years of relevant experience per regulations of the KU Leuven.Given the described profile the salary is foreseen in grade 6, 7 (exceptional 8), depending on experience and competences. For details please find contact information below.
Please provide a CV including a detailed list of relevant qualifications, a motivation letter and reference contact details.
For more information please contact Ms. Pier-Andree Penttila (current executive manager, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Susan Schlenner (director, email@example.com). We will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this position.
You can apply for this job no later than June 30, 2021 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.