The Flow Cytometry Operator will work in a major flow cytometry research Core Facility at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada. This position will work in the new Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning, serving Toronto’s Biomedical Research community in Toronto’s renowned “Discovery District”, two square kilometers in the heart of downtown that have been designated as the city’s centre of innovation. This position will report into the Operations Manager.
Here’s What You’ll Get To Do:
- Perform high-speed sorting of cell populations in a Core Facility serving a large and diverse biomadical research community.
- Operate instruments such as the FACSAria III, MoFlo-XDP or SONY SH800 & MA900 in a containment level II laboratory.
- Help maintain several analytical flow cytometers, i.e LSR II, LSR Fortessa.
- Responsible for daily instrument calibration, fluidics and electronics checks and cross-beam fluorescence compensation.
- Train graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and research technologists to operate the analytical instruments and to analyze their data off-line using FlowJo and other custom software packages.
- Foster relationships with clients.
- Instrument troubleshooting.
- Help maintain safe practices within the Core.
- Assess new and alternative cytometry techniques.
- Ensure data is sufficiently backed up.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- MSc or a BSc with at least 3 years experience with a variety of flow cytometry applications, preferably on newer digital analytical flow cytometers, and with flow cytometric software such as Diva and FlowJo.
- Experience operating a FACSAria or other cell sorter is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and a demanding schedule.
- Ability to work within a busy core facility with tight deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-Time
To apply: eMail cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you.