Senior Associate Scientist - Flow Cytometry Specialist
Pfizer, La Jolla, USA
The Translational Pharmacology group within Oncology R&D is establishing a new Flow Technologies team that will support the large scientific community at Pfizer La Jolla. The center has an opening for a dedicated flow cytometrist to support diverse research needs.
- The Senior Associate Scientist will independently execute day-to-day operations of the flow cytometry core facility. Part of this role includes regular instrument QC, start-up, inventory, and on-call assistance for users.
- Reports to the Flow Cytometry Lead on areas to correct or improve facility function; equipment and facility maintenance; data maintenance and storage; and facility user concerns or needs.
- Presents to, trains, and educates users on instrumentation and analytical software
- Supervises the use of laboratory equipment and implements safety procedures.
- Performs and assists with single-cell sorting on the BD Aria II, and the design and quality control of large, high-throughput cell sorting pre-clinical experiments
- May at times assist with the sample preparation and procedural optimization of single-cell suspension from various tissues
- Advocate and model a culture of scientific quality, efficiency, and leadership.
- Shows the ability to act responsibility and effectively in a quickly changing work environment
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences with 3+ years' relevant experience
- Familiarity with immunology and immunologic basis for human disease
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and technical communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a cross-functional team
- Experience with flow cytometry analysis or cell sorting
- Experience in study design, developing assays, and analyzing cytometry research outcome data
- Experience writing manuscripts, SOPs, technical specifications, and managing projects
- Experience with scheduling, service, and inventory
- Experience operating sensitive equipment and troubleshooting
- Expertise in management, aggregation, and analysis of data and other core operations
- Experience following lab operational biosafety, and chemical safety
- Interact with others requiring the employee to communicate information.
- Operate computers and other IT equipment requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- See and read computer monitors and documents.
- Remain sitting or standing for long periods of time to perform work on a computer, telephone, or other equipment.
- Ability to travel to various buildings.
- One or more years of experience in a core-like lab environment, or shared resource lab (SRL).
- Demonstrated familiarity with BD FACSDiva, Beckman Coulter CytExpert, FlowJo, Cytobank, or other flow cytometry software packages.
- Experience in mouse solid tumor and spleen processing.
- Demonstrated understanding of data management & analysis functions and processes.