Manager (Flow Cytometry
Charles River Laboratories - Portishead, UK
We have an opportunity for a motivated and pro-active science manager to lead a flow cytometry scientific team at the Charles River Laboratories Portishead site in the UK. The successful applicant will lead and manage a state of the art flow cytometry team to service a variety of in vitro and ex vivo studies (pre-clinical and clinical) across the site. There will be ample scope for the individual to run projects, develop new assays and thereby expand the repertoire of expertise within the team.
The Portishead site is focussed on providing state of the art cell biology and pharmacology support to a range of global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in areas including immuno-oncology, autoimmune and inflammatory disease and infection. We work on projects from early drug discovery through to clinical trials.
- The post holder will manage a central flow cytometry service within the analytically services team and be a focal point for flow cytometry and FACS sorting support on site
- They will advise other scientists on best practice in panel design through to analysis
- The post-holder will create an environment of flow cytometry excellence; will track, monitor, run and improve flow cytometry processes and procedures, and liaise with engineers
- There is also the potential to collaborate with other Charles River sites
- The post holder will work on exciting novel treatments for human diseases, making a genuine contribution to moving potential new drugs into the clinic.
- Extensive experience of developing, optimizing and trouble-shooting flow cytometry of human and/or murine immune cell subsets is essential, including complex cell surface and intracellular marker panels.
- Experience of FACS sorting cell populations, is essential.
- Experience of Diva and Flowjo software is essential.
- Line Management and Project Management experience.
- Strong background in Immunology and a good command of biomedical sciences.
- Ideally a Master’s degree or PhD although other experienced candidates will be considered.
- Some experience in developing, optimizing and executing biological assays ideally in a pharma or biotech setting would be an advantage.
- Highly organised with an ability to plan own day to day activities within given work programme with agreement of manager.
- Capable of expressing technical information/views in an accurate and understandable way.
- We are compliant to the ISO9001 standard, so all personnel have a responsibility to understand and follow the company’s quality management system, maintain accurate records and work to a high standard.
- A clear grasp of the drug discovery process would be an advantage.
- Previous employment in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry would be an advantage.
- An understanding of GCP/GCLP would also be an advantage.